Monday, March 3, 2014

slice student contest 1


To wander through a garden
To peer upon the plants
To solemn sit upon a bench
To touch the soil with hands.
The vines they have no consciousness,
the ferns are unaware.
they do not know of conflict, pain,
the have no quarrel there.
It seems that plants have no complaint at all within this earth
To never smile, but never weep
no sorrow, joy, or mirth.
But as I sit, my wrists are pricked by thistles on my seat
and yet in contrast to the pain,
sweet sun upon my feet.
So does the joy outweigh the pain, and is it all worth while,
or does the vague content of shrub
render real life too vile?
to never walk upon the sand, or use a tone of voice
but then I must remember that
we don't quite have a choice.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great rhythm and tone with this poem. "sun sweet upon my feet" and the two lines above it are awesome!

    ReplyDelete