Tuesday, March 18, 2014

200000 leagues under the sea

This book continues to be a great read for me. I really like many of the characters in the book, but my favorite by far is capital Nemo. He is a mysterious, intelligent man who keeps to himself almost all of the time. The imagery of the story is so vivid that it almost seems like a real account of an actual voyage. The book has a lot of educational content as well, but like I said before, it doesn't talk down to the reader. If I had to have one complaint about the book, I would say that a couple of the "companion" characters (those who have read the book will know which ones) seem a bit one-dimensional. And it's not that they're bad per say, it's just that their interactions with each other seem a bit forced and predictable, because it seems like their characters fall into these generic archetypes that the reader kinda expects. Also Portuguese Man-o-wars don't travel in schools. Buy in large, a really solid book. I recommend it for anyone who has the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment