Tuesday, March 25, 2014

200000 Leagues concluded

I would like to say that this book has been a lot of fun to read, and that it has a lot of very powerful ideas and imagery.In my previous statement about the book, I stated that the companion characters were a bit flat, and might have fallen into predictable character archetypes at times, but I now see that the tome does develop them to some degree, and that they have become much more definitive people in my mind. Not to say that they don't still have sort of "short cut" characters, but it's really not as distracting now as it used to be. Or it could be that I'm just used to it now. But what really pulls through with the book is agin the story, concepts and visuals. In each scene where the characters are observing wildlife or something of the like, Mr. Verne goes into detail about each individual specimen, a treat mainly reserved for those, who have some knowledge abut sea life and such, but a treat none the less. The scientific concepts described are no less than groundbreaking, especially for the time, when submarines were still relatively new. The section of the book concerning the "savages" could be interpreted as racially insensitive, but at the time the book was written, it sure wasn't, and they aren't really integral to the story anyway.
Again, the book takes awhile to get through, and there's a lot to get through, so I would recommend it to anyone who has the time and patience.

1 comment:

  1. the book sounds really interesting I haven't read the previous posts so I don't know what it is about, but It sounds like you started enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete